What could be better than a massive, citywide day full of free dance workshops?
How about even more free dance events to celebrate the upcoming 8th annual Dance Day?
First up, we’ve got a FREE preview event at Sound Space the prior Saturday, July 22. Get your groove going early with a “mini Dance Day” at this beautiful new studio in Fairmount: Tap, Afro Cuban, Jazz and more! Find the full schedule and RSVP here.
Then, head to Eakins Oval on Wednesday, July 26 for a free outdoor Cardio Dance Mashup. The hour-long program starts at 7 p.m. and will include a mix of Cardio Pop, Zumba, BollyX and line dancing led by a team of volunteer instructors. No dance experience necessary, just jump in and follow along! Bring the kids — the music and choreography will be suitable for all ages. We’ll be dancing outside, so wear supportive shoes and don’t forget your sunscreen and water.
As with the daytime workshops on Philadelphia Dance Day, there is absolutely no charge to join in either of these sneak-preview events (though you may wish to bring some money to the OVAL if you plan to purchase anything from the food trucks stationed there). Just show up ready to dance!
And, like Dance Day, these preview events are also entirely volunteer run. So please help us spread the word by sharing links on social media and inviting your friends! Along with the preview event invites, we also have a Facebook event post for Dance Day itself.
We held our first outdoor Oval preview three years ago and always have a blast even if it’s sizzling hot! Special thanks to Philly Dance Fitness member Moria M., who initially orchestrated that exciting partnership, and to Sound Space owner Pam Hetherington, who has been a sponsor and volunteer instructor at many past Dance Days.
Philadelphia Dance Day Preview Events
“Mini Dance Day” at Sound Space
- A series of free back-to-back classes, including Jazz, Yoga, Tap and Afro-Cuban
- Saturday, July 22 from 9:30 a.m. to about 4 p.m.
- Sound Space studio, 2511 W. Girard Ave.
Cardio Dance Mashup at the OVAL
- An hour long mix of Cardio Pop, Hip-Hop, Zumba and line dance fun for all ages
- Wednesday, July 26 from 7 p.m. to 8 p.m.
- Eakins Oval is located right in front of the Art Museum at 2601 Benjamin Franklin Parkway. (Note: There is no parking in the Oval lot, but there is paid street parking along the Parkway. It is also accessible by bike, Stop 13 on the Phlash or SEPTA bus routes 2, 7, 32, 33 and 48.)